My Exchange Experience in Philippines

My Exchange Experience in Philippines

General Information and Academic Administration

Student name: Patcha Jankum

Home university: Pibulsongkram Rajabhat University 

Receiving School: University of Santo Tomas Junior High School

Blog Address: patchajankum@blogspot.com

School Profile

School Name: University of Santo Tomas Junior High SchoolSchool Address: Sampaloc,ManilaPhilippines

School's Vision:

The UST Junior High School, adhering to the mission and vision of the University of which it is a part, envisions itself in the next five years to live up to its vocation as a Christian, Catholic, evangelizing, Filipino and educational community, with its tradition of excellence involving its academic and non-academic staff, dedicated to the holistic formation of its students in the secondary level in competence, commitment, and compassion.

School's Mission:

The UST Junior High School, proud of its tradition and conscious of its role to share in the mission of the University of Santo Tomas, under the inspiration and patronage of its model St. Thomas Aquinas, affirms and avows its commitment to the cause of education in the secondary level, and to the formation of our students in the Faith for the purpose of preparing them for tertiary education, being molded as true Thomasians and becoming responsible citizens dedicated to the service of God, the country, and the whole world.

School's Goals:

Our mission is defined by the following goals:
  1. Integral formation of our students;
  2. Cultivation of Christian values necessary for the formation of a right social conscience;
  3. Development of professional sound expertise in guiding, counseling, and nurturing our students’ passion for knowledge;
  4. Appreciation, preservation, enrichment, and propagation of Filipino cultural heritage rooted in a sense of history and tradition;
  5. Recognition of the role of individuals in the University, local community, country, and the environment
  6. Teaching system:

    The University of Santo Tomas Junior High School, our host university deployed as to the one of the outstanding schools in Manila. The school is an capitals school where of all teachers and students can understand English. Their regular class starts at 7:30 in the morning and ends at 4:30 in the afternoon. After the class hours, students in different extra curricular activities were given a chance to do all of their certain activities at school premises. As a Mathematics education practice teacher in JHS, I am always on the field and on the classroom teachings. One meeting per class consist of only 75 minutes

    Materials and other learning sources:

    In University of Santo tomas JHS, the always needed material in going to the class is your powerpoint and evaluation form for the checking of attendance and for assessment.

    Measurement and evaluation system:

    The best way to evaluate students is through performance task because it I obvious that our subject is Mathematics Education. Students are expected to engage more on  the board activities. In the picture students start to write on the board before they will be evaluated end time.

    Curriculum:

    In the University of Santo Tomas Junior High School, the school is using the K12 system. Additional more years for the students to accomplished their studies in Highschool. But for me it is advantage because to have an orientation to the student’s chosen course and fully prepared to your chosen course when the students are at college level.

    Teaching plan (of your major):

    Pedagogical Contents

    Teaching methods:
    University of Santo Tomas JHS gave me mentor and sometimes translator and help me everything when I teach in the class.. His name is Mr. Vincent V. Caparas.

    The only method I used in my teaching is Direct instruction where The BRAIN-BASED instruction Because It's one of teaching strategy that use in University of Santo Tomas JHS  most commonly used. This strategy is effective for providing information or developing step-by-step skills. It also works well for introducing other teaching methods, or actively involving students in knowledge construction But the format of lesson plan here is different with the lesson plan that use in Thailand.So,I think I will work so hard to create the lesson plan itself.So,I thank you my mentor and my buddies for help me make my lesson plan.

    Procedures of teaching:

    I handled 3 class per day with 75 minute a day to meet one class. First hour in the classroom routine always starts with a prayer, checking the attendance of the students, orientation of the assigned topic .

    Time management and organizing activities: In University of Santo Tomas JHS(UHTJHS)  I teach Math, third week I teach measures of central tendency and Fourth week the variance search.
    Classroom Management: In mathematics, we often talk, ask, and explain about what we do and how we work together in the classroom. In order for students to understand what they are learning, we will have students help solve problems.

    Summary and Suggestions

     Purposes of practicum: Practicum is important because  are designed to provide students with practical work experience. They emphasize the importance of learning by doing. Practicums can also open many opportunities to network and make important contacts within the industry.

    Procedures of practicum: University of Santo Tomas our host university. The school we conducted our practice teaching thru Observation, Teaching Assisting, Teaching Practice and Evaluation and Reflection.

    Outcomes of practicum: We are improving on our English Accent, we also experience regarding different students, behavior, teaching strategies and couture in Philippines. And I also gained more knowledge regarding teaching skills and pedagogy of that school.

    The challenges of practicum: The challenges I’ve face in the program is Communicating people in Philippines. I found it hard to communicate people there because they don’t know how to speak English and I also don’t know how to speak Filipino Language. I am thankful for those teacher who helped me to communicate with the students and others specially Bu Clare, and Michelle.

    Overall impression: I am so very thankful that I am part of this program because I learned a lot but in the beginning I am scared because I do not know the Culture of Philippines, the people how they trait us and not total confident to my English skills, but I just gambled to still join the program and facing the fear, but my first impression is wrong I find happy in the country and I experienced happenings that I’ve never experienced before.

    Suggestions for future improvement: My suggestion for improvement SEAMEO must inform the school deans six months before the start of the program so that we can prepare or ready our documents before going to other country. 

    Activity Summary


    Week 1

    School Orientation


    Class Observation



    Week 2 – Teaching Assistant Activities

    Week 3 – Teaching Activities


    Week 4 – Evaluation Week

    O Message:

    I express my deepest gratitude for the people who created the SEAMEO Program because I’ve learned and experience that I’ve never experienced before. I also give thanks for people who helped me to make my journey in Philippines successful Mr.Vincent V. Caparas,My buddies ,My friends in Math Education and Pibulsongkarm Rajabhat University for giving us chance to join for this program,my student and my friends form Indonesia specially to our kind  thank you so much to all. Hoping we will meet soon.

ความคิดเห็น